The latest installment in my 100 Word Challenge.
Aldric punched his security code into the control room door, looked into the retinal scanner, and place his finger into the socket for DNA collection. The computer checked through the information and spit back a failure result. “Computer, what is the problem?”
There was a slight pause before the computer responded in its usual, breathy voice. “The DNA match was unsuccessful. Please try again.”
“Stupid machine,” Aldric grumbled under his breath before sticking a different finger into the machine.
“The DNA match was unsuccessful. Security has been informed.” The light above the door turned red and an alarm started wailing inside the control room.
“Damn it!” Aldric punched the door and turned back to his console. “Isaac! Shut off the alarm in the command center of Lab A and unlock the door! The damn computer is still malfunctioning.”
“Right on it, sir,” replied Isaac. Ten seconds later the alarm went silent and the door hissed open.
“I swear that thing has never worked right since the accident,” Aldric said as he ran his fingers through his hair.
“Did you log a new sample?” Isaac asked through the intercom.”Yes, but it doesn’t seem to matter. I had to disable the DNA test on the Void containment system because it kept throwing errors.” Aldric exhaled loudly and said, “One of these days I’m going to have to sit down and figure out the problem, but I have more important things to worry about now.”
- Author Spotlight no.289 – Eleni Papanou (morgenbailey.wordpress.com)
- Sexism and the Female SciFi Author (thisblogisaploy.blogspot.com)
- Keeping up with technology in sci-fi writing (nicolajmcdonagh.wordpress.com)
- Course for Geeks in London this summer (geeksyndicate.co.uk)
- Science Fiction Is Not Science Fiction? (daliheather.wordpress.com)
- Flash Fiction, June 28 (jdsfiction.wordpress.com)
- lucky (carriev.wordpress.com)
- One Moment (authormagazineonline.wordpress.com)
- Is the book industry sexist or just starved for great women authors? (io9.com)
- Why I Write Science Fiction (excursionsintoimagination.wordpress.com)