Hanse led Evan through a twisting path of shelves and racks until they came to a long line of cages that surrounded a central building that stood well above the rest of the wire and steel structures that dominated the large, cathedral-like space. As they drew closer to the building, Evan noticed sensor and cameras at the corners of the structure and knew that their target was inside.
“Now it’s time to see if those fancy powers of yours are worth anything more than opening and closing doors,” Hanse said. They stopped in front of a gate that led to a space between a pair of locked cages, and at the far end was a door in the side of the central metal building. “What we want is in there,” Hanse said. “The problem is that the door can only be opened from the inside unless you have a key card.” Hanse knelt in front of the gate and pulled a set of lock picks out of a pouch strapped to his belt. “I can get us through this gate, but that’s as far as we go unless you can get your mojo working on that door from the inside.”
“What kind of door is it?” Evan asked. Sweat beaded upon his upper lip and across the back of his neck as he stared at the door. How hard could it be?
“Digital keypad and a fingerprint scanner.” Hanse smiled in satisfaction as the last tumbler slipped into place and the lock clicked open.
Evan stood there with his mouth hanging open. “A keypad and fingerprint scanner? Are you insane? I can’t do that.” He stared at the door and shook his head. “I don’t even know how to begin.”
“Well you had better figure it out,” Hanse said with a grin that exposed all of his yellow stained teeth. “Because I think I tripped an alarm when I popped that lock.”
- Fingerprint Scanning garage Door Opener (electronics-lab.com)
- Beyond the Darkside: 30-5 to 6 (mywriterscramp.com)
- Community Corner – June 19, 2015: The Featured Projects from this Week (adafruit.com)
- Even before Charleston, churches saw need to enhance security (bostonherald.com)
- How To Refine Your Psychic Powers ~ May 12, 2015 (roserambles.org)
- 14 TV Shows That Reinvented Science Fiction In The Past Decade (io9.com)
- Science Fiction Star Soars to the Jesup (bangordailynews.com)
- ‘Mind-Melded’ Animal Brains Work Better Than Individual Ones (gizmodo.com.au)
- Celebrity selfies helped us to uncover how memories are formed in the brain (myscienceacademy.org)
- Singularity 1on1: Ramez Naam on Apex, Science, Politics and Ethics (singularityweblog.com)