Margaret watched the man leave and enjoyed the stink of his fear in the air. Men of power were so easy to cow; they all had something they were afraid of losing, so showing them how easy it was to take away their something special usually put them in line. Not Aldric though. No, that man kept nothing close enough to use against him. Margaret thought she might be his weakness, and she certainly could influence him, but he would sacrifice nothing for her. His only love was for himself, and she suspected that even that love was fleeting.
She sat at the desk and pulled up her terminal. A quick flick series of motions brought up the latest satellite imagery of DarkSide’s research facility. It looked like they were building a new warehouse, but why? What did they need more storage space for? She thought for a moment, plumbing her knowledge of the company and the man that ran it. It was not for storage and it was not a warehouse she decided. Aldric was building something, and it was probably something big. What was it?
A tap on the monitor brought up a video image of her secretary. “Cathy, tell Carl that I want that information on my desk in an hour.”
“Yes, ma’am,” Cathy said. “Is there anything else?”
Margaret pursed her lips and thought for a second before saying, “Yes, have Kraven come here in two.” She closed the window and returned to looking at the satellite feeds. “There is a secret hiding in there, Aldric. What do you think you’re doing?”
A red light blinked in the corner of her screen, so Margaret touched it. A live video feed popped open showing the entrance to one of Aldric’s many supposedly hidden warehouses. A full squad of security guards rushed in through the airlock with their rifles pointed forward. Margaret paused the feed and zoomed in on one of the rifles. “Set to kill, I see,” she whispered. “Someone must have found something you wanted to stay hidden.”
Another tap on the screen and Cathy popped back into view. “Cathy, tell Kraven to get here as fast as he can, and I want the security captain for Lunar Paveways here immediately. Send a shuttle if you have to, but I want him in my office by the time Kraven arrives.” She closed the window again, not feeling the need to say anything further.
- December 16, 2015: Steve Jackson Games Is Hiring A Copywriter And Marketing Designer! (sjgames.com)
- Becoming A Data Scientist Podcast Episode 0: Me! (becomingadatascientist.com)
- Eleven amazing facts about moon (thenewstribe.com)
- ISIS supporters want NASA to rename Plutos moon? (lunaticoutpost.com)
- Are We Food for the Moon? (humansarefree.com)
- Saturn’s Moons Align To Form Bullseye In Orbit (newsy.com)
- Red (poetscornerblog.wordpress.com)
- NASA’s LADEE mission shows the force of meteoroid strikes on lunar exosphere (phys.org)
- Introductory Box Set Reprint & Lance Packs (bg.battletech.com)
- The New World of Publishing: Can’t Get Books Into Bookstore Myth (deanwesleysmith.com)